Thursday 20 June 2013

BLOG 4. 19TH JUNE 2013.

As I write this we are in Southwold, the boat is moored in the rather beautiful harbour, which is full of traditional fishing buildings, made of wood and which are painted in bitumen. Very reminiscent of Daphne Du Maurier novels.

Our sail up from Orford Ness was pretty choppy, it has to be said that most of our sailing has been pretty rough.As I have mentioned on Facebook Nelson, has not been coping very well, which means I’ve not been coping very well, and have at times thought about alternative arrangements for him. The worst trip was when we left Woodbridge, but decided to moor up on a buoy on the River Deben for the night, we tried to toilet him on the sidedeck, but he wouldn’t have any of it. We tried again in the morning, again he would not go to toilet. So basically as we got out onto the sea he was distressed, added to this he had to contend with a rough sea, result one howling dog, shivering, dribbling and totally unable to settle. So the captain made the decision not to continue, and we went Orford Ness……where to our horror, we was directed by the Harbour master to a buoy………….however he did have a motor boat, and he delivered Chris, Nelson and myself to land much to Nelsons relief.

Apologies for being obsessed with Nelsons, toileting but the reality is it was a bit of a preoccupation, we can’t just put him on to a towpath, an oversight on our part.

When we did leave Orford Ness………well, I’m glad to report, that although he was not a happy dog…….he is learning to cope much better when the sea is rough.

Whenever we stop Chris takes the opportunity to get to know Pilgrim better, putting sails up, the first sail he put up was the fore sail, this afternoon he has been putting the main sail into place. It has to be said that we are both disappointed that most of the time we have been motoring, but as we get to know Pilgrim better, we will be sailing more.

As many of you know, Chris and I had a narrow boat for nine years, but Chris wanted more of a challenge, hence his interest in sailing. However, as much as I love seeing, the seals we’ve encountered, becoming familiar with different breeds of seabirds, seeing the changing coastline of England, the stress of looking out for buoys, often feeling queasy because of the motion of the boat, and then the added pressure of mooring close to other boats in Marinas, at this stage I have to admit to have a preference for the more leisurely boating of the canals.

Tomorrow we are leaving Southwold, our destination will be Great Yarmouth.

PILGRIMS PROGRESS.
Well, I’m loving every minute of this trip, I still  love the motion of my hull as I’m riding the waves…….the bigger the better for me! (Although I am aware of the wimpey dog in the wheelhouse….shivering and howling away…….that dog should not have the name Nelson…..in fact I call it ‘Nellie.’)

As well as sailing on the sea I’ve motored up calmer waters of two rivers. The Rivers Deben and Ore. I love the variety of vessels on rivers, they are all so different. If I spot a boat that took part in the Dunkirk evacuation, I dip my bow in respect.

I have to say that in the last two weeks I’ve been observing what goes on, in the cabin.  It seems to me that the Captain is a very diligent sailor….but he is also, then expected to be cook, washer upper, shopper, and he is the first up in the morning to make coffee. In my opinion the guy is a total saint.

The day begins like this, he gets up makes coffee, he places the coffee, on a little table that sits on the vicars side of the bed. ( He actually made this for her, after she once complained that there was nowhere for her to place her cup.)

Her holiness often, means to peel the potatoes, put the kettle on, chop the onions, but there is always a text to send or answer. Last night the Captain asked her to pour the beers, a simple job you would have thought, only takes a moment, but then a text came in from her niece, she didn’t need to respond to it immediately, but she did. The Captain just raised his eyebrows and HE poured the beers.

This morning she did get up and make the tea, but then sat in bed till about 10.30 looking at her e-mails…….then Facebook…….then her texts. The Captain then asked her, to sort the dirty washing out, that has been piling up…..it has to be said she does make pretty piles of washing…..BUT WHEN EVER IS SHE GOING TO DO IT?



What does her holiness shout, when he asks her to do this. Her response is; “ Can’t you see I’m busy.” Yes, busy well she has read four books since the beginning of the sabbatical.

I think there needs to be a Celtic prayer written, for husbands who are taken for granted…….but I don’t think the vicar is the one who will write it.

If he changed his name to Nelson, she would do everything for him!




No comments:

Post a Comment