Saturday 1 June 2013

PILGRIM IS IN THE SEA AFTER EIGHT YEARS- A NEW BEGINNING.

PILGRIMS PROGRESS.
After sitting in dry dock for eight years, Pilgrim finally took to the sea yesterday, and left Ramgate Harbour. After many frustrations and set backs, she was cradled at two o'clock in the afternoon, and lowered into the sea. There was slight anxiety for the first ten minutes, in case she wasn't water tight.

For the launch Chris and I were joined by Jim a member of the congregation of St, Mark's who has helped out with the electronics on the boat. An ex-seaman he was keen to take the tiller.........he was still on the tiller at 12.00 last night.

As we left Ramsgate we were somewhat surprised that, the sea was so rough, and after half an hour was feeling really sea sick.......even Jim a true salty seadog was looking pale.

We were meant to moor at Hoo Ness Marina but because of the low tide and the mud flats we went onto Chatham Harbour. After just two hours sleep the three of us arose at 4.00am, and motored around to Hoo Ness were we found a birth.

We didn't intend to be sailing so late, but the trip down to Hoo took longer than expected, we did intend to go home pick up our luggage and some equipment and return to the Vicarage, pick up Nelson, go to the boat ready for the blessing of the boat. But this morning we arranged for a friend who has a key to the house to walk him, and bring him down on the minibus, with members of St. Mark's.

The last 24 hours have been a mixture of emotions, excitement at seeing Pilgrim finally put into the water, tiredness after a long night sail and exhilaration as many friends and family came to join us for the blessing of the boat, by the Bishop of Rochester Rt. Rev. James Langstaff. It was great too having so many friends come aboard Pilgrim to have a look around the boat that will be our home for the next three months.

A touching moment  when I was approaching the Isle of Sheppey, where my Mother lives, I phoned her to say I could see the Island in the distance. Half an hour later she phone me to say she was at the sea front, looking out for us. She had a long wait, but I phoned her again to say that we was in Sheerness, she said she had a torch with her, and was flashing it, could I see it. I was about to humor her and say yes as there were lots of lights along the coast. When all of a sudden I could see this little light flashing, I started to wave a torch and she excitedly said she could see us. A wonderful moment!

So we are back here at the Vicarage needing a hot bath an early night, to get up pack and go back to Hoo Ness, to set sail on Tuesday.

As many of you know we will during voyage be visiting Celtic shrines, many of these places were written about in book written by the venerable Bede a monk from Jarrow who wrote a history of the early church. As we go around the various sites I will make reference to the comments he made in his book about the sites we visit and the Celtic Saints that are associated with them.

NELSONS EYE.
To be quite frank I have never liked the boat. My name may be Nelson, after some British Admiral........but boats bore me. I have spent the most boring intervals of my life in a boatyard for hours while the Revs, work on the boat. Watching them rub down, paint, repaint.....paint some more. Not to mention the noise that comes from the work that goes on in the interior of the boat.......then there's the funny smells......these have funny names. Anti-fowling sounds like something that's anti poultry.......White Spirit.......well that's a new one on me, I often here these two talking about the Holy Spirit......well I don't know maybe they've met this Holy Spirit.....and maybe he has white hair.....wheres a white suit......but I do know this white spirit has a funny smell.

Anyway just recently their seems to be an excitement in the air expectation. They didn't come home last night even though I knew they were meant to. Then a neighbour I recognize comes in takes me for a walk, takes me home. Then comes back for me a short while later, and puts me on a bus with people from church, we drive for while, I'm rather enjoying myself, being stroked, and fussed over. We stop, then suddenly, the door opens and a familiar voice.....says 'Hello Nelson.' I look with horror the vicars got her working clothes on.....the clothes she wears in the boatyard......Oh No not another day in the boat yard.
She takes me by the lead.....walks me down a ramp....with all the people from church.....and suddenly thers that boaty thing. Only now its in water......a different colour and looking.......oh no its now sitting on water.
Oh before I had to be lifted up a scaffold......and I don't like heights.....no that thing is sitting in what likes water.
A crowd gather round this lumbering thing they climb in it.......there's much excited talk. someone called a Bishop comes blesses it and the Reverends......and me. Me why me.....there's talk of going to sea. I like going to the woods...I like walking down Main Road in Biggin Hill.......especially near the chip shop or the kebab shop. But whats this going to sea.............





1 comment:

  1. I have been waiting with baited breath for the latest blog - Ive almost got angina! Love to read about your adventures though, best of luck as you continue on your journey. Love Nelson's little heart but at least he will be happier now.

    ReplyDelete