Wednesday 31 July 2013

Mclaren's blog

McLaren’s Blog.
Crinan Canal, LochGilphead.
Wednesday 31st July 2013.

Almighty God,
who filled the heart of Columba
with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
and with deep love for those in his care:
may your pilgrim people follow him,
strong in faith, sustained by hope,
and one in the love that binds us to you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Collect (Special Prayer) for St. Columba.


On Saturday evening we made our way from Oban to Iona Island one of the highlights of our trip. We had sailed up the breathtakingly beautiful coast of the Isle of Mull.

It was wonderful to see the Abbey of Iona come into view. As there is no mooring pontoon, we had to anchor Pilgrim. After making sure she was secure we pumped up the dinghy and headed for the beach. We found a safe place to leave the dingy, to have a look around the island. It was Saturday evening, so all the day tourists had left, but there were still a good number of people around.

We saw a notice board, and were delighted to read, that the service on the Sunday morning at Iona Abbey, would be at 10.30am. We were both so pleased that we would be around for a service which would be in the Abbey and be led by members of the Iona community. After acquiring this information we made our way to the bar, and after a long hot day, we had a couple of pints and a meal.

The next morning we woke to rain, so the first job before leaving Pilgrim was to wipe down the dinghy. I always think that it must be amusing for the onlooker to watch me and Chris get into the dinghy. But I have to say that our manoeuvres have got better.

It was wonderful to be in the Abbey, with pilgrims from all over the world. Some who were staying in the community house, others staying in guest houses and B & B’s around the island. The liturgy was wonderfully inclusive. The sermon was given by an artist who lives and works in inner city Sheffield. ( I think it was the theologian Matthew Fox, who said that ‘the true priests are artists’, after this sermon, I would be inclined to agree with him…………I am now into daydream mode…….how wonderful it would be if each church had a resident artist, expressing the gospel within a particular community.

Iona Abbey was built by St. Columba. He came from Ireland with twelve other monks. The Ven. Bede writes of Columba saying, “ There came from Ireland to Britain a priest and abbot named Columba, a true monk in life no less than habit; He came to Britain to preach the word of God to the kingdom of the northern picts.

Bede tells us that Columba converted a local king to Christianity and as a result was given Iona in order that he would build a monastery there. I always call Iona ‘Holy Islands big sister.’ Because it was from Iona that St. Aiden was sent on his missionary journey, which brought about the establishment of a monastery on Holy Island.

Like so many monasteries Iona were affected by the dissolution of religious houses by Henry VIII.

However in the nineteen thirties the Revd George MacLeod, had a new vision of a community, which begun with the rebuilding of the monastic quarters, and the development of new ways of seeking of living the gospel in the modern world.

The present community now has over 240 members, 15000 Associate members, made up of lay and ordained members, from many backgrounds and church traditions. The community focuses on rebuilding the common life, through working for social and political change. The community also produces inspiring and inclusive liturgy.

Chris and I came away feeling so uplifted, after the worship we had experienced. We walked around the ruins of the old Nunnery, we also walked around the shops, but some words from a friend, who had taken us to Jarrow, Reverend Gillian Pocock, said about Celtic shrines, “ Thin places…….the spirituality and the consumerism,” came to mind, so I  decided not to spend too long in the shop.

Gillian if you are reading this, I’ve misquoted you a little, but the sentiment did speak to me!

ON PILGRIMAGE IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT WHEN THERE IS A HIGH THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A SEVERE LOW!!!!!

Chris and I left Iona, hoping to visit a dwelling that is supposed to have been a place where St. Columba stayed when his boat was stormbound. Pilgrims bow was pointing just a couple of miles from the site, when suddenly the engine stopped. The Skipper has already written about this, but the next day after refuelling, we were making our way along the Crinan Canal, Pilgrim was in a chamber of many locks. Chris and I have never been in this situation in this boat. We have nine years of experience of narrow boats…….how ever Pilgrim is not a narrow boat, she is much heavier…….unless the locks are emptied slowly the person holding her ropes while water is released into the chamber is going to loose control. This is what happened, I had opened a paddle on the lock gate too fast and suddenly Pilgrim, was bouncing around the lock chamber with no control, her sides smashing into the sides. The Skipper desperately, trying to take control. In the ensuing chaos and panic, tempers rose, words were said in anger……….and Pilgrim ended up with a warped bow.

PILGRIM: Tell me about it!
Jeanette: Do you mind this is MY BLOG. No doubt you will write your own version when you get a chance.
PILGRIM: I will, Oh believe me I will.

Anyway, by the end of the evening there were threats of returning home and getting rid of the boat. The skipper and I going for long, solo walks.
However, things have moved on, I am writing this blog, last night I thought I would never be writing another one. Chris is putting in new windows to Pilgrim’s wheelhouse and we have plans for the next few days, visiting friends on The Isle of Arran, visiting Holy Island (Another one,) site of another Celtic shrine, which today has many Buddhist pilgrims flocking there, as a Buddhist monastery has recently been built.

I am looking forward to Wales and Cornwall, and for more spiritual adventures in Pilgrim.  While I have been writing this blog, I had a wonderful text from a member of St. Mark’s congregation, who obviously knew about the incident yesterday.  It brought tears to my eyes I must say, I would like to share it with all our readers.

Hi Jeanette I hope you are feeling a little more chipper than earlier.
As usual I cannot think of any quotes from the bible, but we are all gunning for you to succeed together with Chris. The good Lord has not and will not give up on you. We used to call it the channels, so when you feel down the Lord cares. And when your elated the heavens will sing all the louder.

This text is just so typical of the kindness we have received from so many people over the last two months through comments on Facebook, e-mails, and the odd phone call. ( As well as people looking after Nelson.)

Anyway, nearly ‘beer o’clock’. I will finish this blog with a prayer, which I found in the Iona Worship book that Chris and I purchased before leaving Iona. (Sorry Gillian…… we succumbed after all.)

It spoke to me this afternoon, after the chaos yesterday, I hope it will speak to those who read our blog, and are following us on this pilgrimage, but feel that life is just such a mess at times.

Loving God,
you have led us to this place,
not to shield us from heartache
and the pain of human life,
but to heal us and inspire us,
and to gently redirect us. Amen.

On my ‘solo walk’ yesterday I came across a tiny church, I went inside for a while. As I was leaving I saw these words;

Nothing you could do will make God love you more.
                   Nothing you do will make God love you less.    

No comments:

Post a Comment