Tuesday 9 July 2013

Whitby arrival!!
Skipper’s Log.

Anxious leaving Holy Island after my experience in 2010 when my little 24ft boat was pushed over by a large wave.  I avoided the strong streams that set between the islands this time and it was a misty exit from the anchorage but also a very smooth piece of navigation with Jeanette at the helm lining up the buoys and looking back to see we were not being pushed off course by the stream and the wind. By different from 2010 when I had to leave in a hurry and went too far out into the choppy sea. 

I awoke uncomfortable, still in my sailing gear, as I might need to be up at any moment.  The day and night before were full of marvellous views and perfect sailing conditions.  I sailed until 10pm until the night came in.  I wanted to anchor just in the lee of Holy Island but the darkness was coming in and as the coast was unfamiliar, and although I had charts, I decided it was better to anchor just off the beach in enough water allowing for the tidal rise and fall. The wind was off the coast and I had confidence that I would be pushed off, rather than towards the shore.  These beliefs was partially confirmed, but changed early the next morning, I sensed something wrong.  The boat was now uncomfortable and it began to feel like being in washing machine but in four directions and no predictability……………..
One hour later and in the middle of a strong tidal stream, I seemed to be paralysed, by now it was difficult to extricate my feelings and experience from that of the boat, if the boat was in danger so was I, if the boat was sailing perfecting through the water then my feelings and thoughts reflected the same. There was a vital synthesis between the boat and my wellbeing, physically and psychologically.

 Bang…. the boat was over and my safety harness stretched tight.  The boat had been hit by a large wave and I didn’t see it coming.  The boat was over to almost 90 degrees with the mast and sails about to touch the water.  The boat self- righted very slowly, out of the water, back to an upright position and the deck seemed washed clean.  Now the fear and anxiety took over, is the boat damage, will it move? Yes it moved, and the tiller was fine.  I saw another wave and it was going to do the same.  I steered away just in time for the wave to hit but this time on the stern and the boat raced away digging into the trough of the next wave.  I must slow down, get the hatch secure and get control of the boat.  The sea was confused, one tidal stream was meeting the main current and the boat was seemed to be very slow. Panic seemed to control me, I started the engine, thinking that would help, but the boat was rocking so much the propeller was out of the water more than in.  I tried sailing with a tiny headsail and various angles against the waves but I was at the mercy of the sea.  I moved at a very slow speed less that one knot and had to get out of this trap”

How very different this time!!!  It has been glorious weather for sunning but very little wind.  Motoring for too long and the engine noise gets into your head.  We use the sails when we can but for an hour or so. You put the sail up and the wind goes away, you take it down and the wind increases, what a test of patience.  But when the sails are up it is glorious just to hear the sea, the water flowing by and the noise of the birds.

We have reached just over 500 nautical miles.  Another week and will be reaching Inverness where the Caledonian Canal begins. We are in Dunbar. See the photo comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment